Monday, December 12, 2011

Star Cookies (Snowflurries)

These star shaped snowflake looking cookies have been a favorite of mine since I could eat real food (I'm talking about as a toddler).  When I learned to talk I always asked my grandmother for a "DAR" cookie (since I couldn't pronounce STAR).  

Today, these are still my favorite cookie.  This recipe has been in the family a long time and I hope my children will make this every year for their own children when they are older.  I think Santa is adding me to the "nice" list just for sharing this recipe with you.  Aren't I nice?

If you take the time to try these cookies, you may just make them an every-year tradition like we did.

Follow along as I show you how to make these amazing jam filled star cookies:


Star Cookies
*Recipe from Grandma (Betty Hall)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon peel
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup shortening
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
5 1/4 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

 In a large bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder.  Set aside.
 In a separate large bowl, cream together the sugar, lemon peel, butter and shortening. 
 Beat in the eggs, vanilla and almond extracts.
 Slowly add flour mixture to egg mixture until all flour has been added and a soft dough forms.
 Cover dough and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.  Chilling for too long will dry out the dough.
 Preheat oven to 355 degrees.  On a lightly floured surface roll out a portion of the dough (keeping remaining dough cold until ready to use) to a 1/8" thickness.  Cut shapes with a 3" star shaped cookie cutter.  
 Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
 Bake 7-9 minutes or until barely browned.  Cool on wire racks.
 When cooled, sandwich two stars together with 1/4 teaspoon jam with points of stars off-angle.
This should make about 50 cookies
 Sift powdered sugar generously over assembled cookies.  Set 30 minutes.
 These store great in the freezer in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers. 
 Enjoy!




1 comment:

Shari said...

These look great! Thanks for sharing. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...