Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Homemade Dog Biscuits

 Do you have a favorite 4-legged friend at home?  Does your pet usually miss out on the treats you bake in the kitchen because they are for people?  Well not today!  I wanted to take the time to bake something for the dog for a change and he GREATLY appreciated it!  
These cute homemade dog treats are easy to make, are edible for humans (if your into that kind of thing), and have your pups favorite ingredients... chicken broth and peanut butter!  HELLO! 
Want to see a picture of my 4-legged pup?  Well, he's 8 years old, so not much of a pup anymore... but here he is:
This is Xander and he likes his treats!  A lot!  I gave him one treat to make sure he liked it and after it was gone he returned to the spot on the floor where he ate it and kept licking the spot repeatedly.  I guess he couldn't get enough of it.  He has since had about 6 more... in one day!  
I guess it's time to teach you how to make these treats for your favorite pup.  Here ya go!
Dog Biscuits
*Original Kitchen Mom Recipe
2 teaspoons Chicken or Beef Bouillon (or 2 cubes)
2 cups water
1/4 Cup Honey
1 Cup Peanut Butter
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Egg White
1 Cup Rolled Oats
2 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Cups White All-Purpose Flour


 In a large bowl, mix the white flour, whole wheat flour, and the rolled oats.  Set aside.
 In a medium saucepan bring the bouillon and water to a boil making sure all the granules are dissolved.  You can substitute 2 cups of canned broth instead of using bouillon and water if desired.
 Remove pan from heat and stir in the honey, peanut butter and olive oil.  Stir well until combined and no lumps exist.  Allow this mixture to cool completely.  You don't want a hot mixture to cook the egg white when added.
 When the mixture is cooled, add the egg white and beat well.
 Slowly add in the flour mixture and beat well until all is incorporated.  You may need to mix the last bit in by hand.
 Roll dough out to about 1/4 inch thickness and cut with bone shaped cookie cutter.  Or use any shaped cutter you like or just cut into squares or rectangles.  The bones are cute though!  I found this cookie cutter at Hobby Lobby.
 If desired, poke holes down the center of each bone with a fork.
 Find something circular shaped to make curved edges.  Press lightly, you don't want to cut completely through the dough.  This design is not necessary but it makes for some cute treats!
 Place on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and bake 2 pans at a time on separate shelves (arranged in the middle of the oven) at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, rotate pans to opposite shelves (moving the bottom pan to the top shelf and top pan to the bottom shelf) and bake an additional 10 minutes.  Treats should be lightly browned on edges.  Watch your first batch, if your treats are thinner they will bake faster.  
 Allow treats to cool completely before storing.  Any heat left in the treats will cause moisture once stored and they will spoil faster.
 Store in an airtight container 1-2 weeks on the counter, or in refrigerator for longer freshness.  This recipe made over 7 dozen 2 1/2 inch long treats so I stored some in a ziplock bag in the freezer.  These should keep for 2-3 months.  
 Enjoy Pups!!
 And yes I had LOTS of fun with the pictures!!  



6 comments:

ashleighskitchen said...

OH my gosh!! I am making dog treats soon too! I was totally surprised when I saw you posted this! We think alike! Thanks for the recipe! I will have to try it! I think it is similar to the one I want to make. I just need to find cute cookie cutters like you did! I can't wait! Thanks for sharing!

Nicole @ Keeping Up With The Kitchen Mom said...

Haha, that's funny Ashleigh cause I was thinking of making oatmeal cookies soon, and even got all of the ingredients and then I saw you posted oatmeal cookies on your page :)LOL! I didn't want you to think I was stealing your ideas :) But I'll probably make mine in the next week or so!

Sarah said...

These look perfect for my Floyd! He loves anything that involves peanut butter!

ashleighskitchen said...

I'm making these treats today! Can't wait to see how my dog likes them! :)

Nicole @ Keeping Up With The Kitchen Mom said...

Yay! I hope your dog loves them! My dog has one every day :) I stored a bunch of them in the freezer and kept a jar full on the counter that have lasted over 2 weeks! Just take them out of the freezer as you run out. Good luck!

Dont Scratch the Walls said...

I enjoyed reaading your post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...