Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Beef Bourguignon

Delicious!!!  This has been one of my favorite dishes since the first time I made it, over a year ago.  I altered the recipe from one I found at Allrecipes.com.  This tasty dish cooks slowly in the oven with only red wine as the liquid.  

You can step it up a notch and get a fancier wine than the grocery store cooking wine I used, and I'm sure it would be even better!  If you want a bit more liquid, you may need to add more red wine after an hour of cooking or at the beginning if it fits in your baking dish.  I like a thick saucy meat to put over rice or pasta.  

The flavor of this dish really is AWESOME!  You can also do half red wine, half beef broth, but I really love the flavor you get with all wine.  

Ok, ok, I'll stop typing and get to the recipe already!  I know you're all dying to try this one!  Come on, lets learn how:


Beef Bourguignon
*Recipe altered from Allrecipes
1/2 Cup Flour
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
2 pounds cubed stew meat (I used sirloin steaks and cut them into large chunks)
4 Tablespoons Butter
1 Onion, Chopped
2 Carrots, Chopped
2 Cups Fresh Mushrooms, sliced (6 oz)
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced or Grated
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 Cups Red Wine
1 Bay Leaf
3 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Parsley ( I used frozen preserved parsley)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
 Mix together flour, salt and pepper.  Pour into a plastic zip top bag.
 Add the cubed meat to the bag.
 Seal the bag and toss together until meat is covered with the flour mixture.
 Heat the butter in a large skillet, add the meat and brown on all sides
 Pour into a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
 In the same skillet, add the olive oil and saute the onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots about 8-10 minutes, or until tender.
 Add the wine, bay leaf, parsley and thyme.  
 Pour mixture into the casserole dish.
 Bake in a 350 degree oven, covered, for 2 hours.  Don't mind my messy dish... I used a lid rather than tin foil and it bubbled over a bit.  I resolved the problem and it still tasted wonderful!  I recommend using tin foil rather than a fitted lid.
 Serve over rice or pasta.  Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...