Friday, November 25, 2011

Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix

So, I'm not gonna lie, I've been waiting to post this one for a while now.  Well... I've been waiting for Thanksgiving to be over so I can start posting everything Christmas!  No offense to Thanksgiving.  I love every holiday, Thanksgiving included, but it is the gateway holiday to an extra special time of year. This is my absolute FAVORITE time of year!

  Can you tell I'm excited? 

Christmas is the time of year that my grandma always shined.  She would start baking goodies right after Thanksgiving and go strong until every special treat was made and in the freezer to await the special day.  I have so many recipes to post and I'm sorry if you are coming by for dinner recipes this month... I will still be posting those, but my main focus is cookies, fudge, candy, etc.  

I thought I would start you off slow, with a simple recipe that everyone needs to get through the coldest time of the year.  Who doesn't love hot cocoa?  The base of this recipe came from my grandma, but I tweaked it a bit making what I think is the best ever hot cocoa mix!  Ok ok, I'll get on with it already...

Here it is:


Hot Cocoa Mix
*Recipe from The Kitchen Mom
6 ounces Hershey's Cocoa (about 2 1/4 cups)
3 cups instant powdered milk (9.6 ounce bag)
3 ounces Pream or Coffee Mate powdered creamer (about 2/3 cup)
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

 Put everything in a large bowl and mix it up!  That's it, your done.  Now make a test cup.  Mix 2/3 cup cocoa mix with 1 1/2 cups steaming hot water.  If you like your cocoa sweeter add more powdered sugar, if you like it richer, add more cocoa.  I like a creamy, rich, slightly sweetened cocoa.
 Want to make your cocoa extra special?  Crush some peppermint candy canes into the cocoa mix for flavor or get some Coffee-mate Peppermint Mocha creamer and add a tablespoon or so to a cup of cocoa.  It's lovely!   You can also experiment with different flavors of powdered creamer in your batch of cocoa mix.
 And don't forget the marshmallows. 
And you can't go wrong with a pirouette for dipping in the cocoa.  Yummy!
 Enjoy!

7 comments:

ashleighskitchen said...

Oooh YUM! That totally beats my box of hot cocoa I have in the cupboard!

Cookin' Cowgirl said...

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by my blog. And for commenting! :) I love your site, and this hot chocolate sounds so yummy and simple! I just pinned it!

Nicole @ Keeping Up With The Kitchen Mom said...

Thanks for stopping by Cookin' Cowgirl :) I love your site too! And thanks for pinning :)

Unknown said...

Hi, can you make it with powdered coconut milk?

Anonymous said...

Just made your coco mix absolutely delicious . Thanks

Tcarolina said...

How many regular cups of cocoa does this make?

Zuri said...

How many cups do you get out if this recipe?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...