Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fig Bars (Fig Newtons)

Ever since I was a kid I have had an obsession with Fig Newtons.  Maybe it's because my grandma always kept them in the pantry for my grandpa and she would let us snack on them when we came by to visit (ok sometimes I snuck them without asking).  Occasionally I even hid in the pantry while playing hide and go seek just so I could grab a newton!  So when I found a recipe for Fig Bars buried in my grandma's cookbook I knew I had to make them!  

These taste like the traditional fig flavored bars.  I love the way they turned out and I'm excited to try this recipe with lots of different flavors!
Follow along and I'll show you how to make these tasty little treats! 


Fig Bars
*Recipe from Grandma
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup hot water
3/4 cup butter or margarine
2 - 2 1/2 cups unsifted whole wheat or all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup of each)
1 (7 ounce) package dried figs
1/4 cup dark, seedless raisins
1/4 cup walnuts
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon lemon juice (bottled or fresh from the lemon)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Stir the sugar into the hot water.
In a medium bowl, cut the butter into the 2 cups of flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
I used my hands to mix it up, and this is what it looks like.
Stir sugar water into flour mixture until well combined.  Knead in bowl until a smooth dough is formed.  You may need a bit more flour to make a smooth dough.  I used another 1/2 cup (so 2 1/2 cups total).  Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
In a food processor (I used a magic bullet since I don't have a food processor), combine the figs, raisins, and walnuts.  Process until finely chopped.  Mine was paste-like.
Stir in the lemon rind, juice, honey, and cinnamon.  Stir well and set aside.
Divide dough into thirds.  Roll  out dough on a lightly floured surface to make a 10-by-5-inch rectangle.  Now is also a good time to preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Arrange a 2-inch strip of filling lengthwise down the center using one-third of the filling on each strip of dough.
Lift one side of dough over filling and brush the top with a bit of water to help the other side to stick.
And fold the other side over, overlapping slightly in the middle. I used the flat side of a large knife pressed up against the sides of each roll to make a straight edge.
Place rolls on a lightly greased baking sheet.  Brush off as much excess flour as you can.  Bake until dough is firm and golden, about 20-25 minutes.  
Remove strips to a cooling rack.  Cool completely and cut into desired length.  Store in an air tight container.
Enjoy!!!


2 comments:

Lisa said...

THANKS! I love having a homemade fid newton recipe! Made similar with a prune filling last year that was a hit, but came with a request for FIG filling.

Still working on pfeffernusse and look forward to your post this week.

Lisa

Nicole @ Keeping Up With The Kitchen Mom said...

I'm fig newton obsessed! These were tasty! Hope you like the Pfeffernusse recipe. Just posted it today :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...