Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Chinese Orange Chicken Lightened Up

Boy was this tasty!  The flavor was amazing and if you make it the way I did, it will be spicy spicy spicy!  If you aren't much of a spicy lover, just omit the red pepper flakes or lower the amount to about a teaspoon.  It will still taste awesome! 

I got this recipe from a friend's blog Ashleigh's Kitchen.  She has lots of tasty recipes I want to try out, and she tends to cook very healthy foods.  Her blog is definitely worth checking out. 
Follow along and I'll show you how to make this tasty dish:


Chinese Orange Chicken Lightened Up
*Recipe from Ashleigh's Kitchen
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup orange juice
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar (I used red wine vinegar which turned out great)
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons corn starch
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (The recipe calls for 1 tablespoon, but that makes it very spicy, I suggest using 1 teaspoon)


In a small bowl, mix the flour plus salt and pepper.  Add the flour mixture to a large zip top bag, add the chicken. 
Seal the bag and shake to cover the chicken.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the chicken.  Cook until browned on all sides and no longer pink in the middle.  Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
In a small bowl combine the orange juice and cornstarch.  Mix until well combined.
In the same pan you cooked the chicken in, add all remaining ingredients, including the orange juice mixture.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
When the sauce has thickened, stir the chicken back into the mixture.  Serve over rice and enjoy!
This really is so so good!  Thanks Ashleigh for posting a great recipe!


2 comments:

ashleighskitchen said...

Wow thank you Nicole! I'm glad you liked it! I am ready to make it again already! After I saw your picture with the red pepper flakes in the pan, I realized that 1 tablespoon is A LOT! I didn't use the red pepper flakes when I made it, so I didn't realize that would be a lot. I will have to make a note on my blog, to use about a teaspoon, so thank you for pointing that out! Thank you for the great blog recognition too! :)

Nicole @ Keeping Up With The Kitchen Mom said...

Ashleigh, it was a lot of red pepper flakes, but I kinda liked it that spicy! It was fun and new for us since we usually cook to please the kids :) But next time I will probably go lighter on it. The flavor of the sauce itself was amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...