Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pasta Carbonara

Sometimes I don't like to mess with main courses plus sides and a whole slew of dishes.  From time to time I like to make one large dish that serves as the entire meal with no sides needed.  Quite often a all encompassing meal will mean your sacrificing something, like health, or taste.  Both of which I'm not interested in giving up. 

 I found this tasty, light and easy pasta dish that is the healthy version of an all-time favorite to many.  Curl up with a bowl of this pasta for dinner or a quick and different lunch.  Give this one a shot.  It may become a regular.


Makes 6 servings (1 cup each)
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes

Pasta Carbonara (Nutrition info at bottom of post)
*recipe from cooking light
12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
6 ounces turkey-bacon slices, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk (I used 1%- even healthier!)
6 Tablespoons egg substitute
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.  Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or until "al dente." Drain and keep warm.
 Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp; stir frequently.
 Add garlic, and saute 1 minute or until tender.
 Reduce heat to low; stir in spaghetti, cheese, minced parsley and pepper.
 In a bowl, combine the milk and egg substitute.  Stir milk mixture into spaghetti mixture, and cook over low heat 5 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring constantly.  Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
 Serve and enjoy!  
Nutritional Value Per Serving:
362 Calories, 9.8g Fat, 18.7g Protein
45.2g Carb, 1.5g Fiber, 41mg Chol
2.7mg Iron, 471mg Sodium, 116mg Calc

2 comments:

Rie Rie said...

Wow Nicole your really ambitious! Last time Darin tried this dish it turned into mush and I can never master it either. I will try this recipe and see if it works any better! I love your blog!

Nicole said...

Thanks Marie:) I really like this one. It's nice and light! I haven't been as ambitious lately though. I have about 10 recipes waiting to be posted that I haven't had time to do. Hopefully soon! Glad you like my blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...