This creamy pasta topped with crunchy almonds has become a family favorite and comfort food in my house. I have made this dozens of times and I like to double the recipe and make it for family. You won't be disappointed with this one. The top looks crisp and crunchy, but underneath it's creamy and beautiful!
*recipe from Better Home and Gardens
- 8 oz dried spaghetti or linguine ($0.54)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms ($1.99)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions ($0.29)
- 2 TBSP butter ($0.18)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour ($0.03)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper ($0.01)
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg (0.02)
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth ($0.15) -if using bouillon cubes
- 1 1/4 cups milk, half-and-half, of light cream ($0.20)
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (plus 2 TBSP olive oil to cook chicken in) ($2.99)
- 2 TBSP dry sherry (optional) ($0.16)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese ($0.25)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted if preferred ($0.50)
- 2 TBSP snipped fresh parsley, or Preserved Parsley ($0.10)
Total Cost to Make ($7.41) Makes 4-6 servings
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Start a large pot of salted water to boil, cook the pasta to "al dente", drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, cook the chicken in the 2 TBSP olive oil until no longer pink.
Remove the chicken from the pan, set aside. In the same pan, melt the butter and saute the onion and mushrooms until tender.
Stir in the flour, pepper and nutmeg.
Add broth and milk all at once.
Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
Stir in the chicken, sherry (if using), and half of the Parmesan cheese.
Stir together. Stir in parsley now if using preserved frozen parsley, otherwise sprinkle over top before serving.
Add the cooked pasta and stir together to coat.
Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish and top with remaining Parmesan cheese and the almonds. If you want the almonds toasted, spread in a single layer in a shallow baking pan and bake in 350 degree oven 5-10 minutes until golden brown. Watch them carefully and stir once or twice to avoid burning. This helps bring out the flavor in the nuts.
Bake in the 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with parsley before serving.