Saturday, September 10, 2011

French Dip Sandwiches - crock pot

So, a few months ago we bought a quarter of a cow and I got all sorts of cuts of steaks and roasts.  One of the roasts I got was a round bone roast.  I decided to use it in this recipe and it worked great!  A round bone roast is not one you'll find every day at the grocery store, but you can use a chuck roast or sirloin roast with this recipe.  My roast was probably between 4 and 5 pounds.  I had to cut it in half just to fit it in the crock pot, but it made some great french dip sandwiches.  I found the recipe on allrecipes.com HERE.  This is what you'll need:

  • 4 lb rump roast ($12.00)
  • 1 (10 3/4 oz) can beef broth (I used beef bouillon and water) ($0.50)
  • 1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed french onion soup ($1.32)
  • 1 (12 oz) can or bottle of beer, the darker the better ($2.00)
  • 6 French rolls ($1.89)
  • 2 TBSP butter ($0.12)
  • 6 slices Provolone cheese, optional but good! ($1.00)
Total cost to make $18.83, including cheese.  Makes 6 servings, that's $3.13 per sandwich.  Much less than going out to get one at a good restaurant. P.s., I estimated the cost of the roast.  I'm not sure what I paid for mine since I got 120lbs of beef and paid one flat rate for all of it.  

I like to coat my crock pot with cooking spray, but you don't have to.  Remove fat if possible, and add the roast to the pot.

 Then add the beef broth, french onion soup and beer.  Cook on low for about 6 hours, remove roast, slice thinly, and return to pot for 1 more hour.  
 Here is a last minute picture of the crushed can of beer we used for our roast.  Guinness would work well too. 
Prepare french rolls by spreading with butter and cooking under broiler until browned, top with roast beef.  If using cheese, put on top of beef and put under broiler again until melted.  Serve with the gravy in the crock pot for dipping.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...