Sweet & Sour Chicken
- 1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks in juice ($1.38)
- 1 cup baby carrots, cut in half ($0.75)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup) ($0.40)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped ($0.06)
- 1 tsp finely chopped gingerroot ($0.15)
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 inch pieces ($3.98)
- 3/4 cup soy sauce ($1.44)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (0.30)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces ($1.69)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces ($0.79)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch ($0.64)
- 1/4 cup water
- Hot cooked rice or chow mein noodles, if desired
- Total Cost to Make $11.58 not including rice, makes 8 servings.
First, drain the pineapple, reserving the juice. Place pineapple chunks in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate. Chop the onion, slice carrots in half, and chop, grate, or mince your garlic and gingerroot. I use a cheese grater for these.
Add the onion, carrots, garlic and gingerroot to the crock pot.
Chop chicken into 2-inch pieces, I tried to remove as much fat as possible.
Then add the chicken to the crock-pot, over the veggies.
In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce and brown sugar...
...and pour in the reserved pineapple juice.
Pour the sauce mixture into the crock pot. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-9 hours or until juice of chicken is no longer pink.
During the last 30 minutes, add pineapple and bell peppers. Increase to high heat. Mix cornstarch and water and stir into the crock-pot the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Serve over cooked rice or with chow mein noodles, or both! Enjoy :)