Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Texas Tater Casserole

About a year ago this time I was telling my Grandmother over the phone that I wanted more crock pot and casserole recipes for the colder season and that I was going to start looking around the internet for ideas.  About a week later I got a package in the mail with 10 small Betty Crocker Casserole and Crock Pot recipe books.  My Grandma got them on e-bay and they were all older cookbooks, which are the best kind.  This casserole recipe comes from a 1999 issue of Betty Crocker's Favorite Casseroles. I will be trying many more recipes from these books as the seasons get cooler.  This one is definitely a keeper.  It's like a tex-mex spin on a classic tater tot casserole.

Here's what you'll need for this recipe:

  • 1 lb ground beef ($2.50)
  • 1 large onion, chopped ($0.40)
  • 1 medium stalk celery, chopped ($0.28)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced ($0.04)
  • 2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) condensed Cheddar cheese soup ($2.64)
  • 1 can (11oz) whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained ($1.25)
  • 1/2 cup picante sauce ($0.50)
  • 2 tsp chili powder ($0.06)
  • 1/4 tsp pepper ($0.01)
  • 1 package (16oz) frozen potato nuggets ($2.19)
  • 1/2 cup shredded taco-seasoned cheese ($0.45)


Total Cost to make $10.35 Makes 4-6 servings
(notes: I goofed when grocery shopping and only bought 1 can of the cheddar soup, so I substituted one can with cream of mushroom, I also cut the chili powder to 1 1/2 tsp since I didn't want it to be too spicy for the kids, and mine turned out great.  Probably would be even better with the 2 cans of cheddar soup!)
To make: First Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Chop your onions, celery, and mince the garlic.  I use a grater for the garlic, it works great!
Cook beef, onion, celery and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook until beef is brown, then drain excess liquid 
Stir soup, corn, picante sauce, chili powder and pepper into beef mixture. 
Spoon the mixture into a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
Top with the potato nuggets. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
Remove from oven, sprinkle with the cheese, and return to the oven about 5-10 more minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.  Serve and enjoy! Yum!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...