Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chicken Marsala


This is by far one of my favorite chicken recipes.  I can't even tell you how great it tastes, you just HAVE to try it!  I love cooking with wine, and the Marsala wine in the recipe makes it taste great!  Here is how I make it and what it costs...


Chicken Marsala

*1/4 C all purpose flour-$0.15
*1/2 tsp dried marjoram, crushed $0.08
*1lb chicken breast $1.99
*2 cups mushrooms, sliced $3.59
*1/4 cup green onions (2), sliced $0.17
*3 tbsp butter $0.18
*1 cup chicken broth $0.12 (I used boullion cubes and water)
*1 cup Marsala $1.30
*16oz wide egg noodle (you can substitute other pasta) $1.58
*Salt and Pepper
Total Cost to make: $9.16 for 4 adult size portions, $2.29 per person


How to make it:
I start with 2 large chicken breasts and slice them in half to make 4 thinner breasts. 
Next, cover the chicken with plastic wrap and use the flat side of a meat mallet or heavy skillet to pound chicken until about 1/4 inch thickness. 
Start a pot of salted water to boil and drop pasta, cook to al dente.  Meanwhile in a shallow bowl, combine flour, marjoram and 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper.
Lightly coat each piece of chicken in flour mixture and shake of the excess. 
In a 12 inch skillet cook mushrooms and green onion in 1 TBSP of the butter over medium-high heat until tender.  Remove mushrooms from skillet and set aside.
In the same skillet cook the chicken in remaining 2 TBSP of butter for 5-6 minutes, turning to brown each side.
Carefully return mushrooms to the skillet.
Carefully add the Marsala and broth to the skillet and bring to a boiling.  Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.  Serve chicken over pasta and pour sauce mixture over top.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

ashleighskitchen said...

Yum that looks and sounds really good! I'm weird about flattening the chicken under plastic, like its going to break the plastic, and get pieces in the chicken. Lol. I'll have to try this though!

Kitchen Mom said...

Ashleigh, It's actually really easy! I have never had the plastic break, but I don't hit the chicken too hard. You don't want the chicken to break apart and become difficult to work with. You should try it! You can do this with many recipes to make the chicken thinner and it will cook faster!

ashleighskitchen said...

I need to do that because I hate waiting for chicken to cook! Next recipe with chicken, I'm either pounding it flat, or cutting it in half! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...